Johnny Nunez/WireImageNews broke earlier this week that T-Pain has a song with Aaliyah on his upcoming mixtape, The Iron Way. Wednesday night inside New York City’s Jungle Studios, he gave reporters and others a listen to the track, titled “Girlfriend.”
On the song, Aaliyah croons, “Me and my girlfriend/I need someone to talk to/and I doubt that you could do everything that we do/…and if we start breaking up I’ve got someone else to fall to.”
T-Pain said after it was revealed he had a duet with the late R&B singer on his mixtape, he saw mostly a negative response online. “I’ve seen people directly say, ‘He doesn’t deserve her records,'” he recalled. “I’m trying to figure out what the f*** did I do?”
T-Pain also detailed how the duet came about. “They were planning on doing an Aaliyah X album…They were doing that and they came to me for a feature on the album. They had a bunch of sessions of her of unused tracks,” he explained.
He added that after asking could he have a song with Aaliyah for his album, if he did the feature unpaid, her producers and family agreed. “It’s like a swap,” he continued. “I did a song for her, for her album, and they gave me one for mine.”
The Iron Way, which features Bun B, Big K.R.I.T, Migos, Lil Wayne, K Camp and The-Dream, is set for release online Friday.
Here’s the track list for the mixtape:
1. “Kill These N*****
2. “Disa My Ting” feat. Kardinal Offishall and KK Holiday
3. “Did It Anyway”
4. “Let Your Hair Down” feat. The-Dream and Vantrease
5. “Trust Issues” feat. Young Cash and Sean Jay
6. “Booty Butt A**”
8. “Sun Goes Down” feat. Audio Push
9. “The King” feat. Bun B and Big K.R.I.T.
11. “Personal Business” feat. Vantrease
12. “Need to Be Smoking”
15. “Representin” feat. Yo Gotti and Snootie Wild
16. “Girlfriend” feat. Aaliyah
17. “Wait a Minute” feat. OG Maco
18. “Another Level” feat. Vantrease
19. “What You Know” feat. K Camp and Migos
20. “Let Me Thru” feat. Lil Wayne
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.