A felony weapons possession charge against Young Jeezy was dropped in Orange County California on Thursday, the Los Angeles Times reports.
The rapper and several members of his entourage were arrested in August and charged with possession of assault rifle following a search of the rapper’s bus after a show at the Verizon Amphitheatre in Irvine. Police were investigating the backstage shooting death of a man at a show on Jeezy’s tour with Wiz Khalifa several days earlier in Mountain View.
In a statement, Jeezy’s lawyer said the rapper “should not have been arrested and this case should not have been prosecuted. We are pleased it has been dismissed, although frustrated that it took the police and prosecutors months to do the right thing.”
“I pray this had nothing to do with race but it definitely had nothing to do with evidence,” Jeezy said in a statement. “Words cannot express how vindicated I feel with these charges being dismissed today. While my team and I always knew that the allegations and charges were based on zero facts, the rush to judgment by both the media and the police has been extremely disappointing.”
Jeezy adds, “I’m relieved that the truth has ultimately prevailed and I would like to thank those who have always stood by me including my family and fans.”
An unnamed source tells MTV News that the rapper’s camp questioned the police procedure, especially the search warrant that was issued without a signature. “The very weapons seized by police at the time of arrest had been inspected, cleared, and returned by police to Jeezy’s security director two days before because they were lawfully owned by him,” the source says, adding that Jeezy’s $1 million bail was 50 times the legal precedent.